Tuesday, April 19, 2011

{You will be missed....}

The memories that a child has of their grandparents are so incredibly special.  For me, it was so many special memories, so clear, especially today.  That last big bump in the road that made our tummies tickle and meant that Grandma and Grandpa's house would finally be in view, the sound of the screen door slam behind us as we ran to hug them, the smell of Grandpa's aftershave and the beautiful smile on Grandma's face.  The banana chocolate chip cookies in the jar and the beef stew on the stove.  His laugh, her smile.
Playing under the weeping willows and climbing on top of the boxcar.  The teeter-totter on the swingset.  The slideshows in the garage and the homemade pinatas.
It was so very hard losing my Grandma when I was 15.  I didn't know it hurt that much to lose someone you loved.  It was even harder seeing my dad lose his mother and my Grandpa lose his sweetheart.  But I did, for the first time, see how someone could accept death because they knew what awaited them on the other side.  For my grandma, it was her daughter Kathy.  Her little girl that left this earth too soon.
My grandma comforted our family so much during those difficult last days and I remembered her whispering to me, "I will just be in the next room."  I love her so much.
And now, my Grandpa gets to join them both.  It is never easy to lose someone.  My heart especially goes out to my dad, who now has had to say goodbye to both his mom & dad.....for now.  I am so grateful for the knowledge that will be together as families again and for eternity.
Here is a photo of Val and Virginia--the way that I remember them the most.
And here is a photo of the very last time I saw my Grandpa.  I am so glad I was able to see him this summer.   Thanks, Andrea, for sending this!

7 comments :

Ang said...

Very beautiful jen... thank you for sharing that. I just posted mine after reading Michele's. It's been great to reflect this morning. Thank goodness we have the memories AND that knowledge that we will be together again.

Laura Copeland said...

I was surely sad to hear about your grandpa passing away. Like I told Michele, none of us will forget that beautiful head of white hair and his kind personality. I know you have wonderful memories of him. Those will truly never be forgotten and will comfort you when you think about him now that he is gone.

Alison Wilde said...

That was the sweetest tribute for your grandpa. Your details about visiting their house when you were younger etc are priceless now, but seriously your kids will love knowing how much your grandparents meant to you. I feel that way about Grandpa Rigby. I can't imagine life without him one day.

Six Girls and One Boy said...

What wonderful memories you have of Grandpa Garner. We will all remember Val being so kind, loving and fun! I just wish we could have a brief peek at the wonderful reunion that is still going on in heaven with Virginia, Cathy and so many other loved ones!!!

Hillary Garner said...

That made me cry when you mentioned that Virginia said "I will just be in the other room!" How true that is and I can't wait to someday meet her, she seemed like a such a good, strong women and i'm sure Grandpa Garner is that happiest he's been in a long time!

The Great Lakes of NY said...

That was beautiful, Jen. You made me remember things I hadn't for a while. I know that I have some pics from a few years ago. I will get them to you. Can't wait to see you!

Beverly said...

Your grandfather was one of the kindest men. Our family will always remember him from living in the same community of Ammon. I recall one special time your grandpa let our kids come to their home to gather night crawlers to earn some extra money. Val showed us the great spots in the yard, fixed them up with hoses for their chemicals and told them stories while they worked. I was particularly in awe of his warmth and interest in children. His yard was beautiful and so neat and orderly. Clearly, your grand father's desire was to help the kids anyway he could and they still remember his help. That day showed me how successful parents raise such great families and your grand parents have certainly done that. Thanks for your post. He was a good man.