Thursday, January 14, 2010

{taco soup}

when Isabella was born, my mom came--of course.
one night, she made us her infamous taco soup and it has been a weekly meal ever since. Sabe is a little too macho for soup, so he usually has to fend for himself or eat outside with the cat when the rest of his normal family members eat this. i thought you might enjoy the very easy and simple recipe...there's nothing better than soup when its so freakin' cold outside :)

Taco Soup
2 cartons chicken broth (Costco sells the free range kind with 6 in a box)
2 cans of canned chicken breast (I get this at Costco)
4 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes with green chilies (Costco has just started selling these!)
3 cups corn
2 14.5 oz. cans black beans, drained
1 1/2 T. taco seasoning

I actually blend my tomatoes since my kids don't like the chunky tomatoes. So after that, I just dump every thing into a big pot and simmer for a good 30 minutes to let the flavors set in.
Top with sour cream, shredded cheese, and tortilla chips.

I love having this in my fridge for lunch the next day and even dinner the next night. My kids LOVE it!

this beverage goes really well with it.....and its all Sabe's fault!

Izzy doing the "taco soup dance"

the finished product

and look at all this recycling!! woohoo!

3 comments :

Ang said...

Yep, sure can't go wrong with that soup. If the world was coming to an end, I would hope that Costco was the store I got trapped in.

Six Girls and One Boy said...

I'm really grateful for that soup receipe also! I made a new soup last night that was easy (I'll have to give it to you), which called for chicken broth. I read the ingredients on it and was amazed with the long list of ingredients of just chicken broth! So, thanks for the info on the free range broth.

Alison Wilde said...

I LIVE on soup---I don't have that exact receipe, but I'm trying it out tomorrow so Thanks. Jen, you have THE MOST BEAUTIFUL children. I think Parker was eyeing Olivia until I told him she was his cousin!! ha ha. Also, do all the Garner girls get prettier the older they get? (as if they aren't amazingly perfect already!!)